A Taste of Turkey - Part One

Friday, July 16, 2010

My family and I were fortunate enough to visit Turkey in March, and I wanted to post a few pictures before we leave for our next trip.



 We saw the Blue Mosque on our first day in Istanbul, as well as the Grand Bazaar and Hagia Sophia.
What a wonderful, walkable city Istanbul is – so easy to get around, and incredibly welcoming.



For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of flying with Turkish Air, you won’t be familiar with the excellent travel bags given to everyone boarding the plane.  These little beige bags come complete with everything you need for a great travel experience – eye shades, ear plugs and lip balm.  But most important, they contain lime green socks.

These socks were particularly important to our family, because one of us (I won’t name names, but he wears men’s shoes) forgot to pack socks.  And until we got to Istiklal Caddesi to buy him new ones, the lime green plane socks worked just fine.




Cappadocia was one of the true highlights.  From primitive cave dwellings to moonlike landscapes, I’ve never seen anything like it.





For me, one of the thrills of this trip was seeing the Temple of Artemis, near Ephesus.  Although it’s only ruins now, it was one of the seven wonders of the Ancient World, and I couldn’t wait to see it.  It would have been slightly more exciting to share this moment with my family; however, they were too busy taking pictures of the peacock in the next field to pay attention to - did I mention this? - one of the wonders of the Ancient World.  

And finally, my favourite market sign in Turkey:



Because you wouldn’t want to get ripped off.

4 comments:

Carla Sandrin said...

Sounds like a great trip, Beth! You've inspired my curiosity - I'd love to know more. Great pictures too!

Valerie Gamine said...

I've always wanted to go to Turkey! It looks so beautifully exotic. I've been listening to Loreena McKennitt's 'Gates of Istanbul' while reading yout post. Thank you for sharing these pictures. Love those lime green socks! :D

Beth said...

Thanks, Carla! Glad you liked the photos.
And Valerie, I hope the music enhanced your experience! I love the green socks too.

Trish Feehan said...

What wonderful pictures. You manage to capture the essence of your holiday -- both the exotic land of Turkey and your own family's personal experiences there. Have a great time on your next adventure!

Post a Comment