Ethel Merman

Sunday, November 7, 2010

When I started this blog, I vowed that I’d only post recipes that I couldn’t do without.  Recipes that make me smile when I thought about them, and smile even more when I made them.  But I’ve had to revisit that plan on the basis of these cookies, and a softball team of thirteen-year old girls. 

Although I liked these cookies, I wouldn’t rank them among my favourites. But I can’t tell you how many of my daughter’s friends told me they love them, based on the batch I took to their final tournament.  One of the girls even asked for the recipe.

I prefer baked goods in which chocolate plays a supporting role.  Think Viola Davis in Doubt, or Patricia Clarkson in any role.  Not drawing attention to herself, but subtly making the whole project better by her presence.

However, I know some of you prefer chocolate in a no-holds-barred starring role.  Chocolate as Ethel Merman belting out “There’s no Business Like Show Business”.  These cookies are Ethel Merman, singing the words “Everything about me is appealing” at the tops of their lungs. 

Serve these cookies to anyone who loves chocolate, or to your favourite thirteen year old.

"Let's get on with the show!"
Chocolate Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¾ cup white chocolate chips
1 ¼ cups chopped Oreos

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder.  In a larger bowl, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed or by hand, stir in the flour mixture, mixing just until no streaks of dry ingredients remain.  Stir in chocolate and crushed cookies until evenly distributed. 

Drop 1-inch balls of dough onto prepared baking sheet, allowing a little room for cookies to spread.  Bake for 9 – 11 minutes, until cookies are set at the edges.  Cool on baking sheet for two to three minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

41 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, yes! Love the addition of the Oreos. These look delicious, Beth.

Barbara said...

Do you think there's enough chocolate in these? :)
I can see how kids would love them, Beth. I'm not that big a chocolate freak...I bake with chocolate for friends and family, but personally prefer something a little less show biz!
Copying the recipe, of course, because I am in the minority.

Cate Manning said...

yum! :)

Valerie Gamine said...

I've always wanted to try this recipe!
You're such an excellent writer, Beth. I love your descriptions of food..and the people who love it. :-)

Carol said...

LOL, I absolutely love the comparison to Ethel Merman, and I knew when I saw the title, I'd be smiling :) I have to say that those cookies look super, and I wouldn't mind one or two with an ice cold glass of milk. That would get me singing, Anything Goes, or something :)

Victoria said...

I like the Ethel Merman of cookies :) These look so good!! This non-thirteen year old would definitely love them! Thanks for sharing, Beth :)

My Little Space said...

I'm sure these must be so delicious! Bookmarked the recipe for later use. Thank you for sharing it, Beth. Hope you're having a fabulous day.
Kristy

Anonymous said...

These look amazing!
I say you can never have too much chocolate :)

Diana said...

Hi Beth - Thank you so much for stopping by my site and commenting!

My oh my, these cookies look amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love chocolate cookies. That's my theory too, blog only recipes I'd make again or take the time to save in my database.

Catherine said...

These cookies sound and look delicious Beth! My daughter will love these!

Katerina said...

I am not thirteen but I love chocolate. Am I eligible to the cookies? I am sure i would love them.

Sue said...

Love your cookie analogy to Ethel Merman's star quality:) They do look like a winner!

Cakelaw said...

LOL - Ethel Merman cookies is a very apt name. Haven't heard of her for years, not since watching Scooby Doo as a kid. Great looking cookies - I don't think I could stop at one.

Carolyn said...

I love the Ethel Merman analogy! And I think when someone else tells you that something you made is THAT good, it's blog-worthy. They make someone else smile, and that's always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's all about your audience. I have a number of recipes on which I've written a note that says "crowd pleaser." Those recipes may not be my favorites, but I know they'd be a good bet to take to work or to a party.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

They sure do look good to me and it's been a long time since I have been thirteen :)

Emma said...

Cookies baked with cookies in them! I'm very impressed :D These look too good!

Joanne said...

I much prefer it when chocolate takes a back seat as well but these do look delicious!

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

I can't face looking at chocolate right now with all the Halloween chocolate still on the kitchen counter... However this recipe looks like a great addition to the Christmas baking cookie tray.

Faith said...

I love your ethel merman! What a wonderful treat for a snack. This looks amazing Beth. You've done a wonderful job making these ( and in the process, making me craving them).

Tasha said...

This post made me laugh- love it! I am with you and prefer chocolate to be subtle (or even absent) in my cookies, but these would be perfect to make the next time we have a party with lots of kids in attendance. I can see why this would be a huge hit with young ones (and honestly, probably quite a few adults I know).

Anonymous said...

I am a chocolate lover, and these cookies look AMAZING! OMG, wow!

Unknown said...

Yep, I can see my children's friends loving these! (Copying now!) Also love your post about Newfoundland. What a great idea to serve picnics! And the pumpkin muffins look great! I can almost smell the spices! Mmmmmmmmmm!

Karen said...

I am a big chocolate fan, so these look fantastic to me! The oreos are a fun addition.

Claudia said...

I've always been a huge fan of Ethel Merman - yeah she blasted but that voice needed no technology to get to her audience. Sometimes chocolate does that well.

Reeni said...

These are a chocoholic dream! You gotta love a cookie that has cookies chopped up in it. I can see why they loved them!

Amie Kaufman said...

I love love love the comparison! You gave me a laugh in a week that has so far been bereft of that, so thank you. I would love a little Ethel Merman in my life. I'm going to try these out for the weekend. The diet can wait.

Diana said...

Hand me a cookie and call me Ethel! Love chocolate, love Oreos, love this recipe. Sold.

Peggy said...

The addition of the Oreos is genius! I bet these cookies are quite tasty and quite the popular snack amongst the tweens!

Unknown said...

tastes change, too, so while i might not go for these first on a cookie tray, there definitely was a time when they would've won me over!!

megan said...

I must be similar to a 13 year old girl because I think these look incredible!!

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

I'm not big into sweets but I love chocolate cookies. I'll try these!

Heather said...

I am beginning to need a chocolate fix right now after reading the recipe. For me I just love chocolate,so I'm going to copy these.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm pretty sure I would love one of these Ethel Merman cookies. Sounds like a decedent combination.

Kristen said...

What a perfect way to describe chocolaty chocolate cookies like these. They might make any chocoholic start singing!

jenn from midlife modern said...

Just found your blog, and I really love your writing style! I'm guessing the addition of Oreos were the big draw to the 13-year-olds. I must be a tween at heart cause your description of those just made me drool a bit.

Pam said...

Can I have a couple with ice cold milk please? Pretty please?

theUngourmet said...

I can see why so many of you daughter's friends enjoyed these cookies. My kids and their friend's would be crazy for them too. :) I love Ethel Merman!

Val said...

These sound and look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I ♥ this post!! Huge Ethel fan. Going to have to give that a listen tonight-ha! These sound great....yum, oreos!

Post a Comment