Thursday's Child: Ihlara Gorge, Turkey

Thursday, November 29, 2012


The last walk I’m writing about this month is our trek through the gorgeous Ihlara Gorge in Cappadocia, Turkey.


Although it wasn’t a strenuous walk, it required a descent of 360 steps to make our way into the valley.  This beautiful gorge was formed by the Melendez River carving its way through the volcanic rock in central Turkey.

We spent about four hours walking through the valley.  Our time in Cappadocia was chilly, but that day was warm enough to walk without our coats.  It was early spring, and the valley was just beginning to come to life. 


So much of Cappadocia was barren, but the gorge was fertile and full of vegetation.  The trees were just beginning to bud.  Both sides of the path were bordered with grass and wild flowers.


The previous week had been mild, and the cherry blossoms had just begun to bloom.




The walk was culturally significant, too. The Ihlara Gorge was the hiding place for early Christians fleeing their persecutors because of the large number of caves that could be used for refuge.  Some of these caves were among the earliest Christian churches in the area.  The gorge was home to over 100 churches.

 
Just next to the entrance to the valley, Agacalti Kilise (Church Under the Tree) is thought to have been used for worship in the 10th or 11th century.  Its stunning frescoes depict Daniel in the Lions’ Den and the visit of the Magi, among other Biblical scenes.


Tea and cookies with our guide.

18 comments:

Velva said...

Beautiful. These are the beautiful places around the world. Awesome that you were able to experience it.

Velva

Becki's Whole Life said...

Beautiful! I love hearing about all of your travels. I was looking at a map of Afghanistan the other day and forgot how close Turkey is to it. Its interesting because some of your pics look like they could be in North America and some definitely look like they are in a place near the gray rocky landscape of Afghanistan.

Belinda said...

What a stunning walk!! Those tress are particularly lovely.

Jemi Fraser said...

You have been to so many incredibly beautiful places - this world of ours is spectacular! :)

Anonymous said...

What fantastic views on your walk!

Valerie Gamine said...

Beautiful photos and descriptions! Turkey's Ihlara Gorge is completely new to me, so it was fascinating read. And ah, spring...it seems to far away right now.

Rita said...

Spectacular Beth; that road, the gorge, your memories; I can only imagine how majestic it must be.
Rita

Barbara said...

Lovely, Beth. How fortunate we are to have such a well traveled blogger as a friend! I learn so much when I visit you!

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful photos, Beth.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Fabulous picture of the frescoes and your trip sounds like it was a terrific experience!

Stina said...

Is there a country you haven't been to, Beth????? :D

Soon, I'm going to be expecting recipes on your blog from all the places you've visited. ;)

shaz said...

I love taking these "trips" with you Beth. Thanks for sharing :)

Elaine said...

How fascinating. It does look gorgeous and I bet it was interesting exploring.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Hi Beth! Thanks for visiting my blog so I could discover yours. It's so great to read about other people's fantastic international travels because it allows me to live vicariously while sitting at my desk :) I look forward to reading more about your baking and trips.

lisa is cooking said...

Tea and cookies after a nice walk sounds lovely! It must have been so pretty to see the cherry blossoms. Another great walk!

Kathy said...

Beth, Your photos are lovely! A place I always wanted to visit!

Unknown said...

We've had so much rain this week, your walk looks so good to me!
I wish we could have done more exploring in central Turkey- hopefully next time;-) Your photos are lovely and always inspiring;-)

Sue said...

I love your tea party set up with the tree trunk table and stools! :) One of my uncles was born in Turkey...my grandparents were en route from Armenia on their trek to the U.S.

Post a Comment