Trust me

Sunday, June 22, 2014

I was walking
Sore-footed, under hot sun, hot pavements.
Was it then I bought a peach? That's as I remember.
From a stall near Charing Cross Station.
It was the first fresh peach I had ever tasted.
I could hardly believe how delicious.
At twenty-five I was dumbfounded afresh
By my ignorance of the simplest things.

- from "Fulbright Scholars", by Ted Hughes

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. I knew the moment I saw this simple, four-ingredient recipe that I'd love it. I tried it first with raspberries, and thought it was wonderful. But I couldn't wait to try it with peaches - even though they're not officially in season yet - and it was divine. Imagine how great it'll be when I'm making it with perfect, locally-grown fruit!

Trust me - this is one of those recipes that is easy to overlook, but don't do it. This dessert is sensational, and I'll be making it for the rest of the summer.


Peaches with Mascarpone, Pistachios and Honey

5 fresh peaches, skinned, halved, and stones removed (or 3 cups raspberries)
3 Tbsp mascarpone
3 Tbsp best-quality liquid honey
50 grams (2 ounces) shelled pistachios, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and grease a medium sized ovenproof dish with a little butter, or line with parchment paper.

Place peaches, cut side up, in the ovenproof dish. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until peaches are soft. (Note: if using raspberries instead, roast for 15 minutes.)

While the peaches are cooking, mix together the mascarpone and honey in a bowl.

Tip the pistachios into a non-stick frying pan and toast over high heat for a minute or two, tossing regularly to avoid burning. Take off the heat and set aside to cool.

Remove the peaches from the oven and spoon the mascarpone and honey mixture into the cavity of each peach half, dividing the mixture equally. Serve the peaches with a little extra honey drizzled over the mascarpone and the toasted pistachios scattered on top.




30 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This is the dessert we would LOVE too. Peach and berries are our favourite summer fruits.

grace said...

classy, simple, and delicious, plus it's beautiful to see! what a marvel!

Julie said...

What beautiful peaches! Can't wait until it's peach time here!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and delicious dessert - a perfect use for a perfect fruit!!
Mary

Noob Cook said...

I love easy four ingredient recipes. This dessert looks fab! Thanks for visiting me :)

Alida said...

Gosh this is truly mouthwatering and fresh! Perfect as a summer dessert. Love your blog so many yummy recipes :-)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Beth, thanks for visiting my blog!
This dessert is with only 4 ingredients! it is perfect for this summer!

Barbara said...

Such a simple dessert with great flavors, Beth. Any fruit would do. Can't wait to try it.

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

I love fresh, bright summer treats like this. YUM!

Anonymous said...

What a delicious way to enjoy a summer fresh ripened peach.

Belinda said...

Hello, summer!! What a lovely celebration of the finally warm weather!

MunatyCooking said...

What a treat! Most summer fruits are great desserts on their own, but adding honey and mascarpone just made it heavenly .

Valerie Gamine said...

Ah...simple is beautiful. xo
Love this recipe!

Display name said...

I would love this one...I've been baking peaches already. Great recipe. Thanks!

ela h.
Gray Apron

Kari Lindsay said...

My mom would make a dessert very similar to this when we were kids and it was probably everyone's fave! We ate it with ice cream instead of mascarpone, cuz nobody had even heard of mascarpone in our neck of the woods.

lisa is cooking said...

I can't wait to grab some of our local peaches and give this a try! I could enjoy this all summer too.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yum!!! Peaches and raspberries are 2 of my faves - can't wait to try it!!

Lisa Ho said...

Beautiful simple summer dessert :D
I love summer fruits (but not the super hot and dry Perth Summer ) :D

Katerina said...

Very refreshing and summery dessert Beth!

Jessica Lawson said...

Oh YUM. I can't wait to try this (probably the raspberry version, as our store peaches are disappointing right now).

Jessica Lawson said...

Oh YUM. I can't wait to try this (probably the raspberry version, as our store peaches are disappointing right now).

Kitchen Riffs said...

I haven't read Ted Hughes in years. Lovely stuff. Lovely recipe too, and simple. Perfect for the season -- thanks.

Anonymous said...

I hope Hong kong get in their supply of stone fruits soon and if not I would love to try your raspberry version. So light and lovely. Take Care

Anonymous said...

Simplicity is always best - just my kind of recipe.
Have a happy day Beth.
:-) Mandy xo

Joanne said...

Simple, yet perfect. That's what summer eating is all about!!

Unknown said...

Simple is best and trust me I would love to try these

Catherine said...

So true...the simple pleasures are the very best.
Sounds wonderful.
Blessings, Catherine

nancy at good food matters said...

wonderful simple recipe, using of-the-moment ingredients. peaches and raspberries are plentiful right now and exceptionally sweet.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

As much as I love raspberries, I must say the recipe with peaches would surpass the berry version. The photo of the peaches on the Johnson Bros plate makes me happy just to look at it!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Great peach poem. I still remember my first beautiful fresh peach (as an adult as well). Previously the word conjured up the canned version. Will have to try this when the peaches come in--love marscapone with fruit.

Post a Comment