Brussels Sprouts: The Sequel

Sunday, March 8, 2015
Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d say: “I should make this Brussels sprouts recipe – I’ve got all the ingredients I need in my fridge.”

In my old life, I thought I hated Brussels sprouts. I didn’t grow up eating them, and had never even tried them until I started to date Andrew. His mother was a wonderful cook: she had a way with shepherd’s pie and Christmas trifle that only someone born and raised in Great Britain could have. But she had an inexplicable weakness for Brussels sprouts.  I was dubious from the moment I smelled them boiling, wasn’t reassured when I saw the gray-green lumps on my plate, and definitely didn’t relish the overpowering flavour. I compensated by eating them first so I could mask their taste with everything else on my plate. In retrospect, I realize she may have thought I ate them first because I liked them.

But that’s in the past. My recent sprouts awakening meant that I bought more last week, looking for an excuse to make them again. So when I came across this recipe – and had all the ingredients on hand – I knew I had to try it. Guess what? I like this recipe even better than the one that precipitated my conversion.

I can’t over-emphasize how easy and how delicious these sprouts are. And in case you’re wondering, I have a bag of Brussels sprouts sitting in my fridge right now. I know what I’m making for dinner.

Gingery Braised Brussels Sprouts
(from Fast,Fresh and Green, by Susie Middleton)

1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter (first amount)
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
12 to 13 ounces (340 to 370 grams) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp unsalted butter (second amount)
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 small lime

In a 10” sauté pan, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter with olive oil over medium heat. Arrange Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in one layer in the pan. (You’ll have to tuck them in snugly.) Season with the salt. Cook the sprouts until bottoms are nicely browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour the broth into the pan and cover, leaving the lid slightly askew so that some steam escapes. Turn the heat down if necessary so the broth is just gently simmering.


Cook until the broth is reduced to about 2 Tbsp, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove lid and add 1 Tbsp butter, ginger, and garlic. Toss well and stir just until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir gently until the ginger and garlic are well incorporated and slightly softened. Gently squeeze the lime half over all, toss, and serve.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I eat Brussels sprouts at least once a week, often twice. I actually really like to steam them and coat them in a yummy vinaigrette!

Julie said...

Love brussels! I am posting about them this week, too and make reference to eating them as a child just your mother in law made them. :)

Beth said...

Looking forward to reading it, Julie!

Cakelaw said...

How funny. I hated sprouts as a child (ie never tried them), but like them now. This sounds like a delicious way to cook them.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't eat them, but you're making me want to.

grace said...

i've liked brussels sprouts for less than a year, true story. now i find myself actually looking for recipes, which i NEVER thought would happen! :)

Marcela said...

Uh. Now I regret that I don't eat them! Gotta try soon! Thanks for sharing!

Joanne said...

Such a simple and delicious way to prepare brussels sprouts! I didn't like them until I was an adult either...but I'm so glad I gave them a chance!

Janet Johnson said...

Hmmm . . . I am not a brussels sprouts fan, but I'm discovering more vegetables as I learn a good way to cook them. And this sounds good! No promises to make these, but maybe . . . ;)

lisa is cooking said...

I just cooked brussels sprouts over the weekend--love them!. I've never added ginger to brussels sprouts, but I can't wait to try it with them.

Monica said...

I didn't like brussels sprouts until the last few years and now I keep frozen ones in the freezer and roast them all the time when I need some veggies. I'd love to try this method...sounds delicious!

Gloria Baker said...

I love brussel sprouts and these look delicious and yumm Beth:)

Kayte said...

I love Brussels sprouts...but I am a lone reed here at the house on that one. That said, I keep trying to change the atmosphere around here...maybe this one would do it. :-)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Lime, ginger and garlic---check, check, check. Now I just need the sprouts :)

Valerie Gamine said...

Okay Beth, I'll take your word on this one...Brussels sprouts have been my arch nemesis for as long as I can remember. But you do make a strong case. ;-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Yummy! I just need to pick up a lime and I'll give these ones a shot! Love my sprouts :)

Tricia Buice said...

I am a fan of Brussels sprouts put was not as a child. My husband hated them until I started cooking them the last few years. We love them and I bet this recipe with lime and ginger is uniquely delicious! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love brussels sprouts, but don't make them often as my husband doesn't like them at all. This looks great, Beth.

Daniela Grimburg said...

OMG, Beth, I think you managed to convince me to like Brussels sprouts!
After a longer absence from the blogging world I'm back and was very curious to try this recipe out. Bingo- we all were surprised about how good this veggies can taste. Thanks for sharing.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I think Brussels Sprouts are amazing if you caramelize them. My problem is I hate cleaning them. Since they come in the fall when we are buried in food, I usually let them get a bit old which means cleaning is more work. I need to resolve to eat them right away (the kids will even help clean them, they enjoy them so much!)

Kitchen Riffs said...

I loathed Brussels sprouts when I was a kid. Mainly because my mom was in the boil-them-to-death camp. Yuck. But cooked properly, they're wonderful! And you've cooked them properly. Thanks for this.

Juliana said...

I like the idea of ginger in this Brussel sprouts recipe...it sure sounds and looks delicious Beth! Thanks for the recipes.
Hope you are enjoying your week :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm going to try this recipe.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I like Brussels Sprouts but haven't been thrilled with the several recipes I have tried. I look forward to making yours :) I also like the sound of your Pasta e Fagioli! The snow is mostly vanished here and a little warmer temps have arrived, and I think the soup sounds delicious :)

Unknown said...

I like your solution to getting the dreaded Brussels sprouts out of the way by eating them first! I don't remember ever hating them prepared the sort of old fashioned way of boiling then serving with butter, salt and pepper, but the new modern way of roasting or browning is certainly superior....methinks! Great recipe Beth, love the cookbook ;)

scrambledhenfruit said...

I didn't think I liked Brussels sprouts either. We never had them at my house growing up, and my only experience with them was in my college's dining hall. You can just imagine those! My brother started growing them a few years ago and I decided to give roasting them a try and I was hooked. I've saved this recipe to try the next time I have sprouts-The ginger sounds so good! :)

Post a Comment