The Fallback

Sunday, August 16, 2015

I have a habit of falling in love with a recipe so much that I make it over and over again. In the past, I've called it a rut, but that's far too negative a word for something so terrific. Let's call it a fallback instead - a dish that I make again as soon as it's finished because I love it so much. And that's exactly what this wonderful salad has been for me this summer.

It all started when I met my friend Patty for dinner. We hadn't seen each other in three years, and had a lot to catch up on. She brought a shopping bag to the restaurant and I just assumed she'd stopped in a store on the way there. But late in the meal she handed it to me, saying, "You'll laugh when you see what's inside." I did, when I saw it was a Tupperware container that I'd given her at least three years earlier, probably filled with cookies. She went one better than that, and filled it with fresh cherries when she gave it back.

I'd been eyeing this salad recipe anyhow, and once I had the cherries, I had everything I needed to make it. I've enjoyed it many times over the last month, but there's no chance this fallback recipe will turn into a rut for me. The season for fresh cherries and peaches is almost over, and then it'll be another eleven months until this salad is part of my daily routine again. Why don't you try it too, and see if it becomes a fallback for you?


Sweet Corn, Peaches and Cherry Salad with Creamy Goat Cheese
(adapted from Flourishing Foodie)

1 cob corn
1 small peach, sliced
1/2 cup cherries, de-pitted
6 cups of your favourite greens (I used arugula)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 ounces soft goat cheese

Boil or grill 1 cob of corn. Once cooked, remove the kernels with a knife.

Slice the peach; cut the cherries in half and remove the pits.

Combine the olive oil and white wine vinegar and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss the greens, corn, peaches and cherries. Drizzle with dressing. Plate the salad and crumble goat cheese over the top.

18 comments:

Tricia Buice said...

Oh this is my kind of recipe! I fall in a love rut too - and often make a recipe over and over again. Then for some reason I forget about it for a while and what fun when it is discovered once again! This is amazing with the color and flavor combinations. Yummy!

Valerie Gamine said...

When it comes to recipes, I'm a creature of habit, too. This salad would definitely have me hitting the repeat button! How depressing to think fresh fruit will disappear soon, I am not ready to let go.

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks totally right up my alley, Beth, and I am not surprised that you make it again and again.
Have a wonderful week ahead!
Angie

Gloria Baker said...

Yes I love some recipes too and love make again or the twins asked me someones they love.
This look delicious Beth:)

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

We have to have those favorite fall back recipes, don't we? And I could see this one totally being one of mine! I adore cherries, corn and peaches (the goat cheese was a given) and look forward to trying this delicious salad!

Pam said...

I like that term for it, fall back! The salad is great, anything with cherries gets my attention, but I never would've thought of combining them with corn. Sounds delicious!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

All the best of the season in this salad I agree!

grace said...

i have SO many fallbacks, but now i'm thinking that none of them are quite as awesome as this one!

Jemi Fraser said...

My daughter and I will love this! Thanks for the recipe :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Definitely not a rut! I'd be making this winner over and over again, too!

Joanne said...

Sadly, I think cherry season has already passed here...but I need to remember to make this next year!

Monica said...

Love some good "fallback" recipes! What a nice way to get your tupperware back! : ) I like to try new dishes but fall back on a handful of favorites too. It's a great thing when you discover new dishes that can take on that status.

Unknown said...

I love having fallback dishes. It's nice to eat dishes you love and even better to have dishes you can make when another new dish goes wrong. I'm hanging on to the last of my cherries. But I typically eat pretty decent peaches into October.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, there is no way this salad could be put in the "rut" category, it is summer at it's best.

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

All of my favorite summer ingredients in one salad! But to have a friend remember a tupperware container-now that is priceless!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I have loads and loads of "fallback" recipes! They're my best ones, actually. ;-) This is terrific -- could easily join that list. Thanks.

Jessica Lawson said...

YUMMY! And I have one peach left, begging to be used :) I've been devouring arugula salads lately~ just arugula, toasted pine nuts, and bleu cheese, topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. So good :)

Marcela said...

oh wow! Yes, I'd definitely fall in love with this salad! Looks fantastic!

Post a Comment