Toronto in the summer

Sunday, August 7, 2016








A sunny day, a delicious picnic lunch, a beautiful skyline, a family walk, a father-daughter game of catch. And most of all, the girls on break from their camp jobs, for a rare summer day at home. Just a few of the things that made last Monday such a special day. (Apparently you are never too old to visit the ice cream truck, and that is a good thing.)

These peach bars would be a fabulous addition to any picnic, whether it's down by the lake or in your own backyard. What I love about this recipe is that it makes a small but delicious batch - just enough to enjoy for a few meals without feeling guilty. These bars are truly a portable slice of summer!


Peach Pie bars
(adapted from Dessert for Two)

Ingredients
3 small slightly underripe peaches (note: just ripe is fine too)
1 Tbsp Scotch whiskey
1 Tbsp brown sugar
7 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
Peel the peaches and slice them into 1/4" thick slices. Place them in a bowl and pour the whiskey and brown sugar on top. Let soak while you make the crust.
To make the crust, combine the butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Place 1/4 cup of the dough aside, then press the rest in the bottom of the loaf pan. Pack it firmly and evenly.
Stir the cornstarch into the peach mixture, then pour the mixture over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough on top.
Bake 35 - 40 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown. Let squares cool completely before cutting.
Makes 8 bars.


20 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a relaxing, beautiful spot to enjoy a picnic and be with family! I made peach pie bars last week---yours look so yummy!!!

That Girl said...

It has been years since I went to Toronto. So many places I want to go back to!

Marcelle said...

So glad you had a day full day of summer fun with your girls. I'll never be to old for the ice cream truck, for real :) And these peach pie bars look delicious!!

Angie's Recipes said...

It looks like that you had a relaxing sunny day with your family. These peach bars look wonderful, Beth.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad your daughters got to spend some time with you.These bars look yummy.

Unknown said...

Wow! Such a relaxing way to enjoy a sunny day. I love peaches and those bars are speaking to me. AWESOME.

Anu
www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome pics! We'll be heading down to TO for a ball game later this month. Won't have much time down south, but looking forward to it!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day with your girls Beth. And the peach bars look heavenly.

Carla Sandrin said...

So sweet! Great recipe, but most importantly...great family togetherness! xo

Monica said...

Looks like some wonderful quality time with your girls. I am a big fan of the Dessert for Two recipes...this looks like a big winner.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Fun pictures! And I love peaches -- those bars look heavenly. Thanks!

Katerina said...

These are precious family moments your girls will always remember!

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

I need these bars! Love your photos. I miss my kids being home in the summer. It always made the days seem a little brighter. And Since Manservant is gone it really hasn't seemed like summer. But I will console myself with these bars!

Kayte said...

Beautiful photos of your family time...thanks for sharing, I just want to put myself in those photos. :-) And, of course, I would be eating one of those Peach Pie Bars!

lisa is cooking said...

Looks like such a fun day! I'd love to bring these bars along on a picnic.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I don't think there's any wrong way to eat peaches! And beautiful summer day--what a nice get together! My youngest leaves to go back to school on Sunday--can't believe summer is going so quickly.

Gloria Baker said...

I love these peach pie bars Beth !
Look delicious !

handmade by amalia said...

Looks like a fun day indeed. And I really want to try the peach bars.
Amalia
xo

grace said...

i'm really addicted to peaches right now and these bars sound especially delightful!

Tricia Buice said...

These peach pie bars look wonderful Beth! Looks like a wonderful summer day.

Post a Comment